The hate and love affaire with my 1976 Land Rover, a series 3, 109 inch ambulance bodied beauty.

Monday, November 23, 2009

I'm not that good a blogging I guess.

Life has kept me quite busy and so have our Land Rovers.
The Range Rover is still doing fine, although we had some problems this summer.

First the alternator packed up, creating huge amount of smoke burning the belt and squiling like a pig. Luckily my friend Bowy came to the rescue and towed me off to his workshop where we replaced it. So I was back on the road within the hour.

A few weeks later I stood in a traffic jam when I suddenly saw the temperature gauge dive into the red zone...big alert. I managed to pull over and saw that the newly installed belt had broken. I put a new belt on it just after the packed alternator thing, but had been in the back of the car for ages. So I think it was not that good. I already lost more than 5 liters of coolant. The "wegenwacht" (dutch road assistance) came to help me, put on a really small belt (without using the alternator) and loads of water. I was really concerned that my V8 would have it's head gasket blown up, but the engine ran as sweet as ever. No problems!!!

The 90 got a new exhaust, 3 new alternators (those damn things kept breaking bearings), new steering pump and brake pads... and a pair of shiny big 70w lights.

1 Comments:

Blogger mk said...

Interesting, wish my serIII 109 up and run but frame and engine needs to replace. I have full restored diesel engine but frame needs weldings and restauration.
I am from Estonia. Sounds like elbonia :D

11/23/2009 11:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home