The hate and love affaire with my 1976 Land Rover, a series 3, 109 inch ambulance bodied beauty.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Another Land Rover

Well actually it's was a Range Rover that I've been looking after. Being bitten by the RR bug a year ago, I almost bought one yesterday. I saw a right hand drive 1971 model for sale, it was relatively cheap because the owner wanted to get rif of it, because he had bought another car.
It was just registrated here in the Netherlands on the 6th of January, with a complete new LPG-installation (GPL - gas conversion). The car had the most awfull interieur I've ever seen, it had checkerplate-styled-vinyl all over the place, the headlining was spraypainted silver, the doorcovers were silver and the seats were sloppy. The outside was handpainted with a roller and brush, which made it easier for me to paint it again...

But on a more serious note, the inner wheelarches were extremely rusted, also the rear part of the chassis had some rustholes and the biggest problem of all...the V8. It started really easy, but didn't run smooth at all. It stuttered and when pressing the gaspedal, it didn't pick up at all. The worst thing was that the oilfiller cap was filled with smudge (the mayonaise kind) which usually means a blown gasket. There were also a lot of coolant christals around the head. So it probably needed some work to get it fixed.
That was the reason for me not to buy it, although I really wanted it. I really really like the V8 and it would mean a great swap for my daily driver the damn Renault Megane...

So if you know a good Range for a good price, let me know ( bas-atsign-widt.nl )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home